Match Report
St James Senior Boys' School Boys-U13A vs  Surrey Sevens
On: Friday, 06 Mar 2020
Venue: Away

St James arrived at the Surrey 7s full of optimism following an unbeaten start to the season and off the back of victory at the Middlesex 13 a-side festival. They knew it would not be an easy task with the calibre of teams in their group but were eager to do themselves proud.

First up, a sizable looking Caterham school. St James started the game strongly going two tries up early on. Important, as the games were only seven minutes one way. Caterham managed a consolation try but the game was already done. Final score 10-5.

Next up RGS Guildford (who ended up second). RGS were a well drilled side, with a good amount of pace and physicality. St James once again started the game quickly and raced to a 10-0 lead. Defence remained resolute and the game ended 10-0. A very strong performance which sent a message to the group that St James meant business.

The next three games offered St James an opportunity to get some points on the board, with some strong performances against Halliford (10-0), Ashcombe (15-0) and Tiffin (15-5).

St James knew the final three games would decide their fate at the tournament, given the fact that they were against traditionally Surrey rugby's strongest teams; Whitgift, Epsom College and John Fisher.

The first game after lunch was against Whitgift, a well drilled team who had clearly spent a good amount of time training and playing 7s. St James took an early lead 5-0 and defended strongly for the duration of the game. Unfortunately, a momentary switch off at a break down allowed a Whitgift player to snipe down the side of the pitch for a score in the last play of the game, it finished 5-5.

Epsom College next up, and this was one St James did not want to let slip. The boys did not disappoint and probably produced their performance of the day with a solid 20-5 victory.

The final game against an athletic looking John Fisher would decide whether St James would be crowned Surrey champions. St James continued where they had left off against Epsom College and took the game straight to John Fisher. After some physical defence St James began to tire out the opposition moving the ball nicely into space and exploiting it through some powerful runs. The game finished 15-0 to St James, and with that they finished the tournament not only unbeaten but Surrey champions.

This is an unbelievable achievement from a very talented group of boys. They have achieved something no other St James team has managed to date and long may it continue. Well done to all involved!